Helmholtz Graduate School for Macromolecular Bioscience
Information for PhD Students
Students from abroad are strongly asked to clarify certain formal aspects when applying at Helmholtz Graduate School Macromolecular Bioscience. Principles apply conditional for foreign (EU or non-EU members) and German PhD students
- VISA Your entry permit to Germany depends on the country of origin (need of visa, need of letter of invitation, confirmation of financial support, working contract, etc.).
If accepted as PhD student at Macromolecular Bioscience, you will get financial support in form of a scholarship. With this you can apply for a permission to live ("Aufenthaltsgenehmigung") in Germany that you can receive in a German embassy (or a Consulate General) in your country of residence. It is very important that you apply for the correct type of visa! A tourist visa (or “Schengen Visa”) does not permit study in Germany. A visitor visa does not work; you need a visa which allows working in the field of science.
You also may need a permission to work ("Arbeitserlaubnis") for which you can apply for, here. You need two passport photos, your passport, and (if applying) a proof of marriage.
- Scholarships We offer 3-year scholarships to our graduate students.
- Health Insurance In Germany, there is a health insurance obligation for all students. This means that you must provide proof of current health insurance when registering at the University of Potsdam. Special insurance contracts for international students and scholarship recipients start at approximately 50 Euro per month.
- Income Tax The stipend is not charged with income taxes.
- Social Insurance With your scholarship you are not included in the social insurance system in Germany ("Sozialversicherung").
- Tuition There are no tuition fees for Graduate Students of Macromolecular Bioscience. The only fee required is a registration fee at the University Potsdam or the Freie University Berlin that amounts to around 280 Euro per year.
- Housing Rent for a room starts at approx. 270 Euros a month and an apartment or small flat for a single person starts at approx. 350 Euro per month.
- Living Costs in Berlin and Potsdam The estimated costs of living in Berlin/ Potsdam are approx. 700-1000 Euro per month for a single person (living expenses and health insurance). Your monthly salary (Macromolecular Bioscience Scholarship) will cover the basic living expenses in Berlin/ Potsdam.